Monday, April 4, 2011

FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE

INT. MOTEL ROOM
Faust is sprawled on his bed. He is extremely tired but not really able to relax. In his mind, he sees quick images of the young girl who took him in after his collapse on the street. He is clearly thinking about her when he hears a knock on his door. He gets up and looks out the peephole and then slowly opens the door. Standing outside is the young girl Faust saw in flashes earlier. He is totally stunned. Neither one of them speaks for a few moments.
SUSAN
You told me where you were staying, so I -- I thought maybe I should check on you.
FAUST
Come in. Come in.
She hesitates but eventually accepts.
FAUST (CONT'D)
Wow. I don't remember much. I was just - I'm sorry, I didn't even catch your name.
SUSAN
Oh yeah, of course, I'm Susan. I - you were really out of it.
FAUST
I know I - Why don't you have a seat?
She sits down.
FAUST (CONT'D)
You want anything? I could call -
SUSAN
No. No. I mean, I can't really stay. My father doesn't even know I'm gone and he would - I mean when I brought you into the church, he was really - He made me get on my knees and pray to protect me from -
She hesitates.
FAUST
The devil?
SUSAN
Yeah. I mean I know it's crazy, but- and when I went with you to the hospital, he was -
FAUST
You went with me?
SUSAN
Yeah. I didn't, you know, I didn't want you to be alone.

Faust is touched by her words. They sit and look at each other for a few moments.
SUSAN (CONT'D)
Look, I didn't mean to bother you. I can just -
FAUST
There's no way you could bother me.
SUSAN
I mean if you have stuff to do I could -
Faust impulsively grabs her hand and holds it very meaningfully while he looks at her and when the moment is right he kisses her.
Susan is trembling and almost in tears. Faust is extremely gentle and comforting in his manner. None of the aggression and intensity of previous scenes.
Susan breathes intensely and looks down and around and away but always glancing back at his face and never letting go of his hand.
They are both almost laughing and crying from an overflow of emotion.
FAUST
For once in my life I'm not going to question why something good is happening to me. I'm just going to -
No more words. Just looks and emotions and finally an infinitely tender kiss that fades out and takes Faust back to his dressing room where he is savoring this memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment